Junior Lobo Academy Child Care Center  - Where learning is child's play
RSS

Recent Posts

Why is my child hungry after daycare?
Spring is here...so are allergies
Thanksgiving Week 2014

Categories

Parent Reminders
powered by

My Blog

Why is my child hungry after daycare?

Why is my child hungry after daycare?

In the 18 years that I have been doing childcare, “Why is my child so hungry when I get them home” is one of the top 5 questions I get! Followed by: Are you feeding my child enough?  On the inside I am laughing at the questions because I know the truth.  On the outside, its all business!

At our childcare centers, we participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program, CACFP for short!  The CACFP is a federal program that provides reimbursements for healthy meals and snacks served to children and adults that meet specific guidelines including how much and what we can serve! At our centers, we provide a breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack.  At breakfast we serve a fresh fruit, a whole grain, and 1 % milk.  Example: Bananas, Pancakes and Milk. At lunch we serve a fruit, a vegetable, a whole grain, a meat/protein, and 1 % milk.  Example: Mixed Fruit, Green Beans, Spaghetti, Ground Beef, and Milk.  At snack, we serve two of the five lunch components.  Example: 100 % Juice, Animal crackers.  If your child ate everything provided to them in one day at our centers, it would account for 60 % of their daily nutrient. That means if you are exhausted after a long day at work and only serve your child peanut butter and jelly sandwich...well they have already had two to four serving of fruit and vegetables already! Most parents would be surprised at how well their child eats at daycare.  When children see other children eating broccoli, they are more likely going to try it themselves!

Back to the question at hand: Why is my child hungry after daycare? You can see we do feed them nutritious meals three times a day.  So why is your child hungry! Well, children are a creature of habit! Everyday we feed them at the exact same time! Breakfast is at 8 am.  Lunch is at 11 am.  Snack is at 2 pm. Most of the time, children are picked up at 5 pm.  Do you see the pattern? We feed the children every 3 hours! So at 5 pm, they are ready to eat again! Most parents never even consider that scenario!

Another thing to consider is the activity level of children in child care.  At our centers, our children are on a fairly normal daily schedule.  Each class has activities levels ranging from calm, table activities to hyper, outside activities! It’s a lot different than your daily home life.  Toddlers, for example, are super hyper! So they use a lot of energy from 8 am to 5 pm at daycare! They are walking, crawling, playing, running, and climbing the walls most days! So they consume a lot of energy from the food that we provide them.

So to clear up a lot of questions, yes we do feed your children. Yes we do provide them with enough of each food groups a day for their needs.  Yes we do feed your child every three hours! And yes we do keep them busy and entertained.

I hope this gives parents an insight to this age old question! Simply put: Your child is hungry when they get home because they have used a ton of energy playing and learning! They have been feed every 3 hours which means they are right on target! And they are children...they love to eat!

22 Comments to Why is my child hungry after daycare?:

Comments RSS
123 on Friday, October 12, 2018 12:08 PM
123

bid 4 papers review on Friday, October 12, 2018 12:28 PM
Maybe their teacher is giving them many activities or your child is very active in school. Sometimes, teachers give free time to students for them to socialize and play with their classmates. That is why they really need to eat big in the morning so that he will be ready for all the activities in school. Also give your child some vitamins for extra protection, it will really help them.

Marilyn Jones on Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:27 AM

college paper writing service on Friday, November 30, 2018 8:59 PM
It's a nice post for parents. But I don't have kids yet. Thanks anyway. Bye!

Altoconvertjpgtopdf.com on Saturday, December 15, 2018 9:17 AM
Altoconvertjpgtopdf.com provides the best solution for JPG to PDF conversion and ensures added security of photographs and images.

d on Monday, December 17, 2018 5:14 AM
d
Reply to comment

https://bestwritingclues.com/reviews/bid4papers-review/ on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 1:27 AM
I guess that, that kind of thing is very normal. Those parents who use daycare must consider the fact that their kids were really hungry because of the eating pattern the daycare had made. The daycare feed your child every three hours and they were picked up at 5 in the afternoon. The eating pattern too, is different for every child. Please consider if your child really loves eating, consider those whose metabolisms are fast and those children who are really active.

Skycap Financial Reviews on Wednesday, January 09, 2019 1:31 AM
It’s for this reason that alternative finance companies like Skycap Financial Reviews which specialize in short term loans—introduced a free program to teach money basics to its clients.

Richard Warke Titan Mining on Wednesday, January 09, 2019 1:33 AM
Richard Warke Titan Mining dedicated his time and focus to Arizona Mining Inc. and the exploration and development of the Hermosa-Taylor zinc-lead-silver deposit in Arizona.

1 pound Hosting on Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:55 PM
I should need to concede your article to my accomplice. I trust Individuals love your article and give uncommon input

d on Friday, February 08, 2019 8:09 AM
d

resumesplanet on Monday, February 18, 2019 5:57 AM
Day Care center is full of children with good vibes and energy. Children are full of energy and very active in terms of activities in Day Care. The usual activity involves singing, dancing and reciting alphabets. When I was a little girl, I am very active in participating in this kind of activity because I always want to get a star stamp in my hand. I am very excited to go home and have a chitchat on my mother of well I perform.

Hacey on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:20 AM
You shared very nice post with us and I was looking for that information from long time! http://heavydutytarpaulins.co.uk/

Amey on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:12 AM
Thank you very much sharing a very good post. I am very happy to read this post and looking to see more good stuff in coming future. rubber flooring

Benzy on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 7:36 AM
I read your article to learn a lot and hope to see your next article. http://www.gymflooringuk.co.uk/

Limy on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:06 AM
Thank you to share a very good post with us. I am very happy to read this post. Thank you very much for sharing this post. http://ukgarageshelving.uk/

Nick on Friday, March 15, 2019 9:49 AM
Thank you for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information I like this site very much so much superb information. daily devotional kjv

Edeny on Saturday, March 16, 2019 1:21 PM
Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article because it is very informative and useful for me. Thanks for nicely sharing. https://mysupervisa.ca/

Ameley on Sunday, March 17, 2019 4:13 AM
I just would like to say you have shared very quality stuff in your content This was quite new information for me. https://www.clearpathortho.com/

Kimzy on Sunday, March 17, 2019 3:15 PM
I hope everyone like this information they shared as I do. Really great information. https://iknowmiltonrealestate.com/

Hardy on Monday, March 25, 2019 4:23 PM
Exactly written article within your own words, I feel proud to visit your website first time and must want to say thanks for making this post. inspirational words

sam on Tuesday, March 26, 2019 1:15 AM
We really appreciate the kind of topics you post here and best work you have done, keep it up. e3 part carbonless forms